A Brief History
Many historical monuments, castles and manor homes in Poland are slowly crumbling away. Although there is a very strong and renewed desire to protect what is left, there has been a lack of resources and most of all the time to save many historical buildings. We decided to put our small mark on saving our common European heritage.
Pałac (pronounced “palace”) Piszkowice was close to ruin when we discovered it in mid-2015. After over 20 years of neglect and theft, it seemed to have lost all hope of being rescued. Its walls and floors were on the verge of a collapse and we were advised the roof would certainly not survive another winter. With building permits valid from previous owners we immediately began working with local experts and trades to restore Piszkowice to health. Work continues today to restore and preserve the Pałac.
The history of Pałac Piszkowice dates back to the 14th century when the lands surrounding the small defensive fort belonged to the von Haugwitz family. The surviving baroque structure was built at the beginning of the 18th century atop the medieval foundations.
Following 1945 the decline of the Palac progressed with an ever increasing speed. Initially the building housed an elementary school, kindergarten, and a teacher’s flat. After the school was closed, the building was sold to a string of private investors who contributed to its current condition.
Finally in 2015, we were able to secure the property and begin the project of restoring the building and the surrounding gardens to their former glory.
Research continues on the Palac’s ownership over time as borders changed and evolved from Austrian, German and finally to Polish sovereignty.
Timeline of Pałac Piszkowice
1427: The original fort is burnt to the ground following invasion during the Hussites wars.
1519: A stone dated 1519 built into the garden wall suggests the build date of the first Renaissance manor.
1722: The Pałac is renovated to include larger windows.
1300’s – 1819: The Von Haugwatz family own the estate. The widow of the Von Haugwitz family sells the estate.
1819 – 1873: The Falkenhausen family acquire ownership of the estate. The family’s three daughters marry three brothers from the Von Zedlitz-Neukirch family.
1873 – 1892: Through marriage the Von Zedlitz-Neukirch family inherit the estate.
Circa 1885: During renovations by the Von Zedlitz-Neukirch family, the shape of the Pałac roof is modified.
1890 – 1937: The Pałac is sold to the Von Eichborn family from Breslau (now Wrocław).
1892: A second floor is added to the Pałac and construction of the roof is modified again.
1937: The Pałac is sold to Lieutenant Salfeld (likely the last owner before the war).
1939 – 1945: Second World War.
1945: Poland assumes control of the former German Silesia Region.
1945 – 1965: The Pałac is run as offices for a State Farm.
1965 – 1996: The Pałac is repurposed as an elementary school for the local community. Hundreds of children attend school at the Pałac.
1996 – 2007: With the opening of the Polish economy to Europe, the Pałac is sold to a Belgian Corporation. The decline of the property begins.
2007 – 2015: The Pałac is sold again to another investor. Unsecured, the property falls into further decline.
2015: The Pałac is acquired by Polish / Canadian owners Orotelli. Pałac restoration begins.
2019: The Pałac is officially opened as a boutique guest house to private guests. We invite you to join us for a stay in our beautiful home.